Thursday, March 6, 2008

Student Editor of Student Lawyer Magazine

Yesterday, I was named Student Editor of Student Lawyer magazine, which is published by the Law Student Division of the American Bar Association.

The magazine provides guidance on educational, career, and related issues for division members and others. It is published every month of the school year, September through May, and is available only by subscription or as part of the $20 annual membership in the ABA Law Student Division.

The magazine is run by the full-time editor, but each year a Student Editor is chosen and given a large amount of authority in planning the magazine. I am completely in charge of one section of the magazine and assist the editor in the other sections. If you go to the magazine's website, I will be taking the place of current Student Editor Kristi Lemoine, who is listed on the right side of the page.

Ashley and I have both really loved the magazine, since I first started receiving it in my first year of law school. I applied for the position in January after coming across the call for applicants. I really didn't think I would get it because I wasn't a journalism major and haven't worked full-time for a newspaper or magazine before. So I was thrilled when they contacted me for an interview last weekend and totally surprised when they offered me the position yesterday.

In general, my job description and duties include:
  • Generating (through writing or assigning/editing) about 2,500-4,000 words per month for the Division Dialogue section (see website).
  • Assigning articles to student writers as deemed appropriate by the student editor and staff editor, and ensuring their timely filing and editing
  • Alerting law student section liaisons to requirement to write liaison notes, following-up on these requests, and editing articles
  • Reviewing via e-mail all magazine copy (feature pages and Division Dialogue) prior to publication and alerting staff editor to any oversights or potential problems
  • Informally consulting with staff editor on various issues involving the magazine, including editorial content
  • Assisting in judging of the Law Student Division's law school newspaper contest
  • Carrying out other minor assignments to assist the staff editor

I begin working immediately. Next week, I will be travel to Dallas to attend the Division’s Board of Governors meetings. I will have to travel to three other meetings over the next year. One in NYC, another in Chicago and another yet to be determined. It should be lots of fun and a great opportunity to meet lots of national ABA leaders.

The Deans of my school are really excited that this will be a great opportunity for me to represent W&L on a national level. They are already planning ways to promote it. I had to convince the website to wait to do a story on me until I get back from Dallas and having a better idea what I will be doing.

The only downside about this opportunity is that we had to cancel my parents' visit to Lexington next week. We hope they can reschedule as soon as possible because it would be fun to show them our fun town as well as for them to see how much our girls are growing.

11 comments:

  1. Hey congratulations! That's a big deal, great job! Where exactly are you guys living? Joe and I are living in DC for the summer and that would be so fun if we could get together some how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! We are proud of you, what an awesome opportunity. I feel bad for your parents, but happy for me as I might get to see Ash and the girls next week while you travel. Yea!! Again, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait did you say Chicago? Family Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool Chuck! Congrats! You are like, Mr. Multi talented brother! I am so excited one day to say, "Oh yeah, my brother is Charles Gates" and they will be like, "REALLY?!?" and I will be "Yep!" Because everyone will know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Chuck, that is really a great gig to get. We are very happy for you! Have fun writing and editing...it will lead to bigger and better things along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats guys! That is awesome! I am sad we won't be able to travel next week, but I would say it is worth it on your end for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exciting...I do have a degree in journalism and the only editor I've ever been is for the Sports Desk at The Daily Universe (the BYU newspaper). Pretty lame...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Opportunity Chuck! If you have a summer trip and Ashley wants to tag along......I would love to take care of the girls. Let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congratulations! That sounds like a lot of extra work! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really neat Chuck. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dad told me last week and I was so proud of you! He was so cute and braggy about you-- in a good way. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete