Monday, March 10, 2008

Linger Longer (2)

We had our second Linger Longer on Sunday. We stay after our regular church meetings to eat lunch together as a congregation. Chuck and I are in charge of coordinating the activities so it was a busy Sunday for us. This time the Activities budget did not provide any food and it was going to be purely pot luck. I had sent around sign-up sheets for 2 weeks and called everyone on Friday to remind them of their assignment. We were nervous about having enough food and having a good variety. We panicked on Saturday night and I went to buy 2 frozen lasagnas just in case.

After the first hour of church, we decided to cook both lasagnas because it didn't look like we were going to have enough food. Well, we were pleasantly surprised by the amount of food that was provided when it came time to eat. Apparently, a lot of people had food in the car. I could not believe the spread we started to get. We could have set up a 4th table for food.

It was nice to feel the support of the members of our ward. So many people commented about how nice it is to just sit and visit with everyone. It is also fun to taste other's dishes. Next time I might provide little cards for each to write who made the dish and what it is. I heard many people asking around trying to get recipes.

The highlight of my afternoon was to watch an elderly lady with a HUGE smile on her face get her empty dishes from the kitchen. It made her so happy to see that other's liked her meat loaf and chocolate cake. She said "I can't believe everyone liked MY meat loaf so much!"

I made Andes Mint Cookies and they were a hit! (Thanks Erin) Another hit was someone brought individually wrapped PB&J and cheese sandwiches for the kids. I'm sure it took a lot of time, but I saw one on almost every kids plate.

Our next Acitivity will be in May. We have a great Yoga instructor in our ward that would like to have a Yoga morning. We are also thinking of "Spring Cleaning" our building. I would love any ideas on how to make a "Come clean the Church" activity more inticing.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad everything came together...such a good idea to call everyone on Friday to remind them what they signed up for. So, did you ever need the lasagna's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are always so organized! We appreciate all the kind things Chuck said on my blog and we also appreciate your friendships. We miss ya like crazy...but we know as soon as we are out of school and actually making money we are going to come visit! Do you still have family that lives in Vegas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food works well, just promise some yummy treats, maybe some fun music (if that's allowed), and babysitting provided so people don't have an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it was such a great success!

    ReplyDelete