Monday, March 3, 2008

Barrister's Ball

This weekend we had the pleasure of attending W&L's Barrister's Ball - nicknamed Law Prom. It was fun to get dressed up, got out to dinner with friends, and dance (a little).

Anyone that knows me knows that I have stick straight hair that has always been impossible to curl. My sister thinks hair changes sometimes through pregancy, because my hair curled and stayed curly all night!! While I had rollers in my hair Leland kept telling me how beautiful I looked and made Chuck come back to the bathroom to see how pretty I was. She was very concerned when I took my beautiful hair out of the rollers. She even said "Mommy, put the clips back in so will be beautiful again."

We went out to dinner to with the J Reuben Clark Society to Tucany, an Italian restuarant in town. It was fun to be out to dinner with friends, but the food was not very good at all. Luckily J Reuban Clark Society footed the bill all but $5 per couple. So I guess maybe (MAYBE) the food was worth paying $5 for. According to the waiter (who was horrible) I ordered the best thing on the menu (lamb chops) so I felt bad for everyone else because mine was just okay.

After dinner we went out for ice cream before heading to the party. At the party there was GREAT appetizers. If we would have known there was going to be so much good food there I'm sure Chuck would not have eaten his meal at Tuscany.

I convinced Chuck to get on the dance floor even though we were the ONLY one's out there at first. Many soon followed. He's such a great dancer, I'm not that coordinated to do the swing steps and all that he does, but I can follow okay. I'm sure I looked silly, but almost everyone else had been drinking (open bar) most of the night, so I'm sure compared to others that came onto the dance floor I was alright.

I had a really fun evening even though dinner was a bust. We stayed for a while visiting with friends and dancing. Going to events like this just remind me of how old I'm getting mostly because I started to not recognize songs that everyone else was singing along to. Plus I was starting to yawn at 10pm ready to go to bed. So sad.

I just have to add how AWESOME W&L is. Like I mentioned J Reuben Clark Society paid for dinner, but we also will get reimbursed for any babysitting expenses from the Law Families Club. The party was of course free, so we paid a total of $12 for dinner, ice cream, dancing, and babysitting. I LOVE it! What a fun cheap date.

Note from Chuck: Although Ashley says the party was "of course free", it isn't that way at all schools. Tickets for a couple to attend Barrister's Ball at Chapman University (my old school) were about $80. Additionally, Chapman does not have anything comparable to W&L's Law Families Club, which obtains student fee funds to help students with families participate in activities. A comparable evening at Chapman would have cost us about $150.

7 comments:

  1. How fun! You look so beautiful! I wish I could have seen the clips in your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to Mitzi: I added the W&L law school picture to add some graphical insight. Don't let the snow throw you off though, this weekend was in the 60s and today it is 70 degrees. We only had three snowstorms this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that curly hair. I can't believe it stayed all night. What a fun evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks so stinkin' cute!!! I am getting excited to move there despite the snow photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you look so different with curly hair! Sunshine and I think you remind us of Ally Sheedy.

    Yeah, we thought about going to Barristers, but A) We're not big fans of Barrister's either, B) Ryan doesn't dance, at all! and C) I don't own a nice enough dress! But I still kindof wish we would have gone once during law school! Not feeling to bad about missing out on Tuscany, though, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! And your hair is so cute! How funny that Leland thought the curlers were beautiful clips for your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way cute hair and all the talk about how close the law students are make me excited for Michael to start in 2 years. Barrister ball (hopefully more on the $12 side) here we come!

    ReplyDelete