Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

Today is one of those days that you will always think back to what you were doing in 2001. It brings tears to my eyes just to remember how I felt that day. Today is like to other generations the day The Challenger exploded while so many watched (I was watching at school), or the day JFK was assassinated, or the day Pearl Harbor was bombed. You can't help but remember and you will never forget. Only a few that read this blog I knew in 2001. So here's what I was doing:

Sept 11, 2001 was the day movers were coming to my house in Provo to pack all of my belongings into a truck to move across country to Baltimore, MD. I had spent the night at a friends house in Salt Lake the night before. They had already left for work when I was getting ready to leave and I turned on the TV. I remember sitting on the edge of bed watching in utter disbelief what had happened in NYC a few hours earlier. I left the house to drive the hour in my car listening on the radio to all the speculations and tragedy that was occurring.

When I arrived at my house I plugged in the TV that was on the floor because the entertainment center would soon be on a truck. I sat their on the floor still in awe. The movers arrived, two young guys, only one spoke English, but with a thick Middle Eastern accent. They did not know what had happened earlier that morning. I explained to them what happened. The 3 of us just stood there and watched the TV, while the movers spoke to each other in a language I did not understand. Then one asked "Who did it?" I had no idea how to respond, there were only gross speculations at that point.

My cross country move was delayed due to my roommate Kristen, who was moving with me to Baltimore, being in Seattle. Since all flights were grounded for a few days, she could not fly back to UT. I spent the next few days like many others glued to the TV watching the only thing that was on TV for days. Then Kristen and I ventured on our cross country trip to start our post-college life.

I was not personally affected by the massive loss in life that occurred that day, but I still mourn for those that died. I am grateful for the country that I live in and the freedoms that we have. I am truly grateful for those that maintain our freedoms and their families that sacrifice so that they may do so. Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Ashley. Thank you for sharing your emotions and memories.

    ReplyDelete