Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas Kickoff Week #1 - Getting the tree

This has been our unofficial Christmas Kickoff Week. Here is post #1 in a series of events.

On Saturday morning, we decided to go get our Christmas tree. Since we live in the mountains (well, East Coast mountains at least - totally different than mountains in the west), I figured there would be tons of places to go cut down our own tree. I was wrong. As we drove to run some errands we passed one place in front of the Tractor Supply store (one of our town's larger shopping venues) that looked really cute, but I wasn't satisfied.

After dropping off Ashley to do some shopping at Dollar General and Wal-Mart (two of the other finest shopping venues in LexVegas), we headed next door to the Lowe's, but I didn't want to buy a tree from some mega-company even if they are the sponsor of Jimmy Johnson and the #48 Chevy (our favorite Nascar team). So, the girls and I drove along the highway to see what we could find.

I decided to stop in at the truck stop which is off the beaten path but well known to only locals and the die-hard professional truckers. The ladies there know Lexington better than most, so I asked where I could get a tree that was fresh cut and sold by a local group/company. She told me the one across from the Tractor Supply was the place to go.

So we returned and were pleasantly surprised by how fresh the trees were. The family running the tree spot were from western No Carolina (not too far away) and had great southern accents. They were very friendly and the trees were super cheap (ours was $33). Leland loved helping to choose the tree and load it up. After we got the tree in the stand, we rested before heading out to the Lexington Christmas Parade! (I'll post about that tomorrow. Also stay tuned for decorating the tree.)

2 comments:

  1. seriously.... the sunglasses... I love it! I love how she is basically ALWAYS wearing them! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunglasses are a pretty constant accessory.

    ReplyDelete