Sunday, July 20, 2008

1st for Everything

Last week, at 29 years old I experienced a "1st" - My 1st speeding ticket. This marks only my second time ever being pulled over by a police officer, the first at 19 while home from college. I have never even been in any type of car accident.

On my way home from NC I was stopped for driving 71mph in a 55mph zone. It was on a 2 lane divided highway, that is very easy to go too fast on. I was in my last stretch of the long journey home with 2 restless little ones.

There are many things I should have done differently:
1) I should have told the cop that I have never had a ticket and begged for his forgivness instead of sitting in silence.
2) I should have changed our license plates to VA a long time ago. Not that this is a big deal, but I think cops are more likely to give tickets to out of state drivers.
3) I should not have been in the left lane cruising along when there was no one in the right lane.
4) I should have used the cruise control.
5) I should not have been speeding.

Now my dilemma is whether or not to just pay the $141.00 fine or appear in court and ask for the ticket not to appear on my driving record. My court date is Thursday Sept 25 at 8:30am at a courthouse 1 1/2 hours away. So is it worth a 3 hours drive round trip and about $35 worth of gas and court fees to TRY? The jury is still out.

Note to my NC family: Prayer for Judgement is only an option for NC residents.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize prayer for judgement is only a NC thing - another reason why I will never move out of NC. If that is not an option, then I would just pay the fees and be done with it. Maybe call the insurance company to see how much it will affect your premium, it probably won't even be that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they have the option of taking the defensive driving course so the ticket doesn't go on your record??? I may have tried that once, and it wasn't too bad, but I still had to pay the price of the ticket for the class. Odds are he won't get rid of the ticket, but you can always try. I've also heard that driving 55 saves you 17% in gas, but I am glad the speed limit is 65 here. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete