Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Castle Cake

For the last few weeks, I've been debating on whether or not I would a make cake myself for Leland's birthday. I finally decided that I would and there was no question in my mind on what it would be - a pink castle. If there is anything that sums up Leland's last year it is pink and anything princess.

I did lot of Internet research and talked to anyone I could about making and decorating cakes. Now this is my FIRST cake that I've ever done myself. I helped my sister make a guitar cake last fall and that was my first encounter with cake decorating.

Chuck actually did the detail work. He did a GREAT job. My Aunt gave Leland some princess Polly Pockets as a present, so we decided to add them to the top of the cake. They were a very nice addition.
So what did I learn from my first cake decorating experience?

  • My cake was DELICIOUS! (Bodell Bistro p.306) Thanks Aunt Pam!
  • My icing was a little too thin to use decorating tips to do piping, but still tasted good. (Bodell Bistro p.294)
  • Freeze the cake for a few hours before decorating it. That was the MOST helpful piece of advice that I got and it came from a lot of people.
  • I NEVER thought I would be so excited to make a pink castle cake. But Leland's excitement made my excitement escalate.

**For those of you who are not a part of the Bodell crew and would like the recipes, check out the food blog I contribute to: One More Bite. I also added detail about the construction of the cake if you are interested.

8 comments:

  1. So cute! I bet she just loved it! I love that you are posting on Karyn's recipe site. I really put all of my good recipes in the book. Actually I have gotten a few that I should post. But those Mint cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she wasn't throwing up anymore.... bwhahahaha. One of the MOST fun things I did when my kids were little was to make special cakes. It means so much to them! Yep, freezing the cake ahead is HUGE help with crumb issues. Sometime when you are here I will show you pix of my creations over the years. Leland is a lucky girl to have such loving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun cake! I am sure she loved every minute of her pink birthday! I'm just so glad she is feeling better, what a bummer to be sick on your birthday!

    If you are interested my mom has a fabulous recipe for frosting that she uses while making her cakes for weddings. Its super easy and tastes amazing. I can get it for you for next time or you can go to her blog. I think she just did one... http://foodchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job. I wish I would have known, my mom is a professional cake decorator...I could have asked her for some tips and ideas on how to do it, but yours looks great. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The icing recipe was very tasty I just wasn't sure how thick the icing needed to be to do the piping. Chuck had the idea to use licorice strips instead and it looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute cake! You did a great job! Leland sure looks happy in front of it and on her new bike! Happy Birthday, Leland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks awesome!! I am so glad that Leland loved it too!! Happy Birthday, Leland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this bookmarked for two months now, just so I could come back and tell you that you are Martha Stewart. That's all.

    So cute!

    ReplyDelete