Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ranting about Dick Vitale

Well, there's another college basketball season started off poorly. Tonight, I was excited to watch a college basketball featuring #1b UCLA (UNC is the real #1) v. #11 Michigan State. I even stayed up late. This would be the first big game I would watch this season. I have been really excited about the start of another college basketball season.

When it began and the commentators voices started in, a horrible rage exploded within me and I instinctively yelled out, "I hate Dick Vitale!" Then, I was horrified to hear myself say, "When is that guy going to die?" I know that is beyond harsh and way over the line. I feel very guilty for having such strong feelings against somebody I never met. But I also have realized that there is not another person in the world who evokes such disdain in my heart. Now usually, I do not post such negativity on the blog, but I figure it may be therapeutic for me to express it here, so that maybe I can let it go.

I dislike him so much, that I had to violate my own rule against blog posts without pictures; I had a great one (see here), but I threw up a little when I saw it on the same page as my family.

If you have to ask why I hate him, it is obvious that you don't watch basketball on ESPN/ABC. To start with, he can't stop talking about nonsense that nobody wants to here. Next, he loves himself way too much when there is nothing at all of substance to love. He IS the East Coast Bias in College Basketball - to him, covering a Big 12 game in Kansas is too far west. Finally, he embodies why nobody likes Duke, unless they got a degree from there, live in New York, or are Canadian.

Some of you might say that he sometimes, professes to love UNC... Uh no... That relationship is as one sided as the tiny little freshman girl with freckles, glasses, messy hair and headgear who has a crush on the senior Prom king. Find me a UNC fan who likes Vitale and you will have found a UNC fan who has a Duke sweatshirt in their closet. Ask my in-law family, I understand the importance of that choice.

BTW, don't let my UNC talk lead anybody to think I have abandoned the Pac-10. I do love UNC, but I am quick to admit that the ACC can only hope to be the second best conference in any given year (and this year, it is #4 or 5 after Pac-10, Big East, SEC and maybe Big 12). UNC is great, the rest are only mediocre.

But back to my point about Dicky V... This year, the Pac-10 returns to ESPN (thank you Disney-ABC-ESPN), so I will get to watch some Pac-10 games. But because there are so many ranked Pac-10 teams, that means that they will probably send Vitale to cover those games and I will be forced to listen to his mindless drivel until my ears bleed (not thank you Disney-ABC-ESPN).

For more, see some of these links:
- Jotsheet: Funny blog post that explains why Dick Vitale needs to retire.
- TruthAboutDuke.com: The most hilarious Day in the Life of Dick Vitale parody.

Anyway, I want to thank the bald, no-talent, obnoxiously annoying Dooky V for ruining another basketball season by having anything to do with it. Please do the world a favor, Dick... Retire!

Thank you... I feel better now.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I always throw up a little in the back of my throat when I hear Dickey-V's voice.

    ReplyDelete