Thursday, August 21, 2008

Camping Again

Last weekend we went camping again at Douthat State Park. We loved it so much last time we went we wanted to go again if we could camp on the lake. After a ton of research of other campgrounds in the area, I happened to check Douthat's reservation list and there must have been a cancellation because there was one open site for the weekend we wanted to go. My college roommate, Kristen, came down from Baltimore to camp with us. We had such a great time.

Camping right on the lake was fun. It was a gorgeous view and a fun place for the girls to play. We set up on Thursday night and just relaxed. Friday morning Chuck and Leland did a little fishing from the side of the lake. (They fished the whole weekend, but had no success.) While making breakfast it started to rain. We borrowed some rope from some neighbors and strung up a tarp so we weren't trapped inside our tents. Chuck spent the next few hours perfecting the tarp cover and did a great job. We luckily had extra tarps. We had some in our car that we wanted to return, but they came to great use.

After the rain, Kristen, Leland and I went for a short hike around the side of the lake. It was so nice and peaceful.

Since there was so much rain in the morning. There were tons of puddles to splash around in. Leland had fun with some kids from the other campsites.

Chuck then rented a small fishing boat for us to go on the lake. It is a very small lake that allows small motor boats, kayaks, canoes, and paddle boats. We had a nice time floating around and trying to fish. The girls really enjoyed being on the boat.

The horrible mother that I am caused the need for the band-aid across Lucy's forehead that you see in all the pictures. The campsites are loose gravel. Lucy was shaking her foot like she had rocks in her shoe or something. So I bent over to lift up her foot to help her get the rocks out. Being that she is not very steady on her feet I knocked her completely off balance. She fell head first into the gravel. It was so quick she didn't even have time to get her hands up to help break the fall. Her head smacked on the gravel rocks and gashed it open and gave her nice goose egg. It wasn't too bad, but still made me feel horrible.

When Chuck went to return the boat that we rented. Leland went with him. They were going to cruise around the lake for a bit, then I was supposed to pick them at the dock. Chuck had been gone maybe 5 minutes and I hear him yelling "Come get us NOW!" I see him in the middle of the lake and not sure what is going on. I jump in the car to go pick him up on the other side of the lake.

A bee was flying around them in the boat. Leland went to hide her face and in the process caught the bee and trapped it in between her face and hands. The bee stung her just below her eye. It could have been a lot worse. Luckily, for my peace of mind, but not for Leland, she was stung a week ago on the foot while at the park. So we knew she wouldn't have any major reaction, just the pain and swelling. The poor girl's face got all puffy and red. It was very sad. That night she went to bed at 6pm and slept till 6:30am. She was worn out.

We enjoyed the campfire in the evenings. Leland loved roasting marshmallows. The whole weekend she would sneak marshmallows into her mouth. She never really ate an actual s'more, but loved all 3 elements on their own: marshmallows, chocolate bars, and graham crackers.

Saturday we spent the afternoon at the beach area. A local radio station was sponsoring Back to School Party so there were lots of fun activities going on: free hot dogs, bounce houses, and games. If you look at the picture to the right of Chuck and Leland on the obstacle course you will notice Chuck about to lose balance and tumble down the slide. I thought he was going to flip right off, but somehow managed to stay on and not smother his daughter on the way down.

The girls enjoyed playing in the sand and water. Kristen and I rented a canoe and paddled around the lake. It was peaceful as long as we stayed away from the beach area that was packed full of people and really loud. Leland went out on the canoe with us. We found her a cattail along the shoreline for her to use as a paddle. After a while I noticed that she was being pretty quiet. I look back and she was dead asleep in the bottom of the canoe. I really wish I had my camera with me.

We had such a fun weekend. It was a great end to our summer. Chuck started classes today, Leland starts pre-school Sept 4th. I hope this last year of law school flies by as quickly as our summer did.


  1. that whole Bee story is so sad!

  2. How traumatic for poor Leland and that mean bee! I can just see it now had that happened to one of my girls. They would have been so upset it probably would have tipped the boat over. I'm glad she's okay. It looks like you had a great camping trip!

  3. This story made me think of you guys! I hope Leland wants to continue fishing, and soon this will be her and Chuck! Love you!

  4. What a fun trip! I can't believe Leland got stung...poor little thing. I can't believe how grown up both of your girls look.

    I love your family picture. We have never gotten one done, isn't that sad! Collins just started school last week...has Chuck started yet?

  5. I'm like Chuck's sister. The story in the news about the record breaking catfish caught with a pink Barbie fishing rod made me think of Chuck and Leland. I love how "outdoorsy" you guys are. What a great summer you all have had!

  6. What a beautiful place to camp! That must be close to us here, right? I need to learn my way around.
    I love the story about Leland and Ella. So cute that she wants a little brother so bad. My blog address should be linked. :)