Thursday, August 2, 2007

Miracle of Modern Medicine

I am doing better now with the help of pain medication and modern medicine. I do not feel incomplete or like a part of me is missing. I am very grateful that all of this occurred when it did and that we had Grammy and Papa's help with the girls. I stayed Sunday night in the hospital and was able to rest. We stayed at the Gates' home Monday to rest some more, then came home to San Diego on Tuesday. Chuck's work was very accommodating with his missed time at work.

After determining that I needed my Gall Bladder removed I remembered that my sister also need her GB removed 2 months after giving birth to her first child. While Kriss was having lunch with 4 women, 3 said they had their GB removed within 2 months of having a baby. Then in the grocery store Chuck ran into a family friend who said she had hers removed as well. So apparently this is pretty common. Who knew?

I am glad that it was done laproscopicly so I have 4 "bullet holes" instead of a large incision. One of the four is actually in my belly button so you can't really see it. I lost my voice Tuesday I guess from all the talking to tell everyone what had happened and the tubes down my throat during surgery. Chuck wouldn't let me talk to anyone all day which helped me regain my voice.

Our summer in San Diego (and CA) is coming to a close (about 10 days) and it has gone by so quickly. I feel like we definitely made the most of our time here even with all my visits to the hospital. I cried Sunday night with the Johnson's that we are leaving and all the kids will be so different next time we see them. I started crying when I saw Cole trying to take steps to walk and how much he has grown and developed over the last year. We all may benefit from the technology and procedures available to us today when it comes to medicine, but our little Cole truly is a miracle of modern medicine. I am grateful that I was able to see him take his first few steps and will be so excited to see him chasing his cousins around at Christmas time.

2 comments:

  1. Woo HOO- Gates family Christmas! I'm so excited. Ashley- we love you so much. We rae glad the bullet holes are healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually from me- I don't know why but sometimes it refers to me as mitzi when I post- random I know

    ReplyDelete